Now that you have picked a date, a photographer and probably a venue as well, you can celebrate! Those are some of the toughest decisions in wedding planning and you can cross them off your list! Hooray!! Now onto the fun stuff.... like your engagement session! Even though it’s not mandatory to have an engagement sessions in The Wedding Experience I truly believe that they are a VITAL part of the entire process. Even if you’re out of town that’s no problems as I love flying!
During your engagement session, you’ll have the chance to get to know me, experience how I shoot and how I handle posing and lighting. This session will make a HUGE impact on how the wedding day flows. I’ll arrive on your wedding day already knowing how you two interact, what your best poses are and how to photograph you in a genuine way! What I will learn about you during your engagement session is invaluable! You will feel like such a pro on your big day because of the great practice you had during your engagement session and that’s how it should be!
Your engagement session can be scheduled anytime before your wedding day. I normally suggest booking it at least 3-6 months in advance to avoid stress. Because our weekends are filled with wedding stuff, I often shoot engagement sessions on weekday evenings, normally from 5-7pm depending on the light and the time of the year. In the winter months, 2-4pm is a normal time frame for an eshoot! As you start to plan for your engagement shoot, you will need to start brainstorming about location ideas. I LOVE it when couples pick a location that is special or sentimental to them in some way! If you can’t think of anywhere specific that you would like to shoot, I can help you decide on a location! I can make ANY location look awesome as it’s about you and your connection with each other! I shoot at farms, campuses, downtown alleys and even laundry mats! I’m serious! Do not shy away from crazy ideas! If you two love running, I’ll run along side you. If you love snowshoeing, let’s go. The more creative, the better! Be sure to keep reading to find out more about outfit ideas and inspiration!
It’s always a little intimidating to have your picture taken .... even if it’s just a photo on an iphone that is taken by a friend, we still want to look nice, make sure nothing is in our teeth and that our hair is behaving! I realize that preparing for your engagement session can be a little overwhelming. Here are some tips for outfits and accessories that will make the e-shoot preparation a little more managable!
- Don’t try to MATCH...try to pick outfits and accessories that coordinate instead. If everyone wore the same exact color at their e-shoot, how boring would those images be?
- Most often, couples like to have one casual, everyday outfit and then one outfit that is dressier! This will give your shoot two totally different “looks”. I recommend beginning with the dressy outfit first!
- Relax! You don’t have to be a pro at this! I’m going to help you along the way and it’s going to be a blast! Enjoy this time together and make a date out of it! Plan dinner afterwards and celebrate!!
- Don’t be afraid to be BOLD! Accessorize and make your outfits your own! Scarves, bold necklaces and fun shoes are always welcomed!
- Empty your pockets! Literally. You don’t want to have key chains or phones showing through your pockets. (This is for the guys especially!)
- Be sure to check out my Pinterest boards for more outfit inspiration if you’re having trouble! I recently deleted everything from my Pinterest boards so it’ll be growing over the next few weeks so keep checking.
- Please be on time! The sun is only out for so long and I want to give you a fabulous experience! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot! And nobody wants that!
- MOST PATTERNS are actually ok.... however, graphics are not favorable for portraits. If you’re wearing a pattern, make sure it’s not overwhelming and distracting. Please stay away from Plaid unless it’s a kilt for your wedding day